Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Carrot Hazelnut Soup

Sorry to be so long between posts. I am experimenting with raw every day but i am writing 4 papers and teaching 3 labs so I am falling behind on my recipe posting. My glucose stays at 5.5 or below if I make my own meals. Soon I will post my raw Worcestershire sauce recipe. Below is a simple, fast and very healthy soup with a twist.


Ingredients:
  • Hazelnuts (1-2 cups)
  • Carrots (4 medium with skins on)
  • Apple (1 small any variety)
  • Honey (1 tbs)
  • Ginger (2 tbs grated)
  • Cinnamon (1 tbs)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Water (1/3 cup or more)

Do not peel the carrots but scrub well. Cut the carrots and apples into small pieces and put in a strong blender or food processor with the hazelnuts, honey, ginger, cinnamon, salt, pepper and water. Blend to desired thickness. I like slightly chunky but most people probably like smooth so depending on the strength of your machine you may need to blend for up to 3 minutes. Adjust the seasonings to your liking. The amount of water will determine the thinness. Water is mainly added just to get everything to blend. This soup has more of a dessert pudding taste. I find it is very filling. It will keep for 5 days in the refrigerator but tends to get runny. Obviously you can vary the ingredients. By leaving out the apple, honey and ginger and adding chile peppers you get a spicy soup or put in miso and some sesame seeds and sesame oil for an oriental flavor. Any nut works here. I use hazelnuts because I can buy hazelnuts from a farm on Vancouver Island. Stir before eating. Salud!


No comments:

Post a Comment