Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Raw Sweet Potato Pie

If you grew up on sweet potato pie then this recipe requires practice to get the right amount of each ingredient for that old time taste. My mother made this with sugar and marshmallows.

Ingredients:

  • Sweet Potato (2 cups)
  • Apple (1 cup)
  • Walnuts (1 cup)
  • Dates (1/4 cup soaked 30-60 minutes)
  • Lemon Juice (1/2 medium fresh squeezed)
  • Cinnamon (1/6 cup)
  • Nutmeg (1 heaping tbs)
  • Salt (to taste, 2 tbs)
  • Honey (4 tbs)

Blend everything together in a food processor for at least 1 minute. I like this very smooth but you may like chucky. You can substitute any nuts for the walnuts. On the net most raw sweet potato pie recipes call for Orange Juice. Since it takes 55 gallons of water to make one orange, I use lemons. Using different nuts or the juice changes the taste. Lots of nutmeg and cinnamon can cover this.

This makes a side dish for 4 people. This is very good for a potluck. If you can find local walnuts then it really gets good. Local apples and sweet potato are a must. Experiment with different varieties of heirloom apples. This should keep covered in the fridge for 3 days.

In the photo below I paired sweet potato pie (on the lower left) with raw squash with tarragon dressing. I also had a veggie lasagna. I am not 100% raw. I made lasagna with my vegetarian brother to show him how easy a healthy lasagna can be. Salud.

No comments:

Post a Comment