Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Biss Balls Part 2

I posted a version in 2010. I have been experimenting alot as my original recipe had expensive ingredients. My ultimate goal is to make it 100% local. This version may not be as tasty as one with cashews, macadamia nuts and Menjool Dates, but it still makes for an excellent snack any time of day. Most ingredients are raw to those new to my blog.
Ingredients:

Almonds (1 and a half Cups)
Dates (baking)(1 cup)
Sunflower Seeds (half a cup)
Agave Nectar (1/6 to1/4 cup) (not raw)

Blend these in a food processor. Some people like it ground to almost a flower. I like to still have some chunks of nuts. Roll into balls of whatever size you prefer. I like golf ball size. Some use an ice cream scoop or a spoon. I just roll into balls with my hand. If it is not sticking then it needs more dates and agave. This makes about 10 balls. I find they last a week covered in the refrigerator but I suspect they could go 3 weeks. Menjool dates are far superior to what are called baking dates but can be 4 times as expensive. Make Bliss Balls with both and see what you think. I like less agave but friends love ones with lots of agave so play around and keep testing.

Now to this you can add anything. Here is a list of ingredients I like.

Nuts (of any kind)
Pumpkin Seeds
Sesame Seeds (yellow or black)

Dried fruit:
Coconut (dried Flakes)
Coconut Butter
Raisins (any kind)
Dried fruits (Apricot, Figs or Mulberry work well)
Goji Berry

Spices:
Cinnamon
Clove
Star Anise
Cacao beans
Cacao powder

Replacement for Agave nectar:
Honey (Be sure you know the hive owner)
Real Maple Syrup (Not raw)

The key is to keep it about 2/3 seeds and nuts and 1/3 dried fruits and dates. Some dried fruits work better than others as they are stickier. Experiment. The spices also take alot of experimenting. I find that grading a whole cinnamon stick barely imparts much extra flavor but 2 sticks make it very interesting. I always make bliss balls with whatever I have on hand. Salud!


No comments:

Post a Comment